Minnesota Law – Q: What do I do if my company has had a data security breach?

A: MN Statute 325E.61 requires a business to provide notice to any person or business of that person or business’ personal information has been acquired by an unauthorized person and the data security has been breached.

It is recommended that you discuss this with your attorneys so that you can craft a notice which might include items such as:

  • a description of what happened;
  • the type of protected data involved;
  • what actions are being done to protect data from further unauthorized access;
  • what the company will do to assist affected persons;
  • the contact information for the company’s inquiry response system; and
  • the contact information for local and federal government authorities.

Find more common real estate questions and answers in the Desktop Reference Guide! 

The Minnesota Association of REALTORS® is the largest professional trade association in the state with more than 17,000 members who are active in all aspects of the real estate industry.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s