Advice on how to become a REALTOR® in Minnesota.
All real estate licensees are not the same. Only real estate licensees who are members of the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® are properly called REALTORS®. They proudly display the REALTOR “®” logo on their business card or other marketing and sales literature. REALTORS® are committed to treat all parties to a transaction honestly. REALTORS® subscribe to a strict code of ethics and are expected to maintain a higher level of knowledge of the process of buying and selling real estate. An independent survey reports that 84% of home buyers would use the same REALTOR® again. Enter your real estate career as a REALTOR® by following these steps:
- Complete pre-licensing requirement. The state of Minnesota requires REALTORS® to complete 90 hours of pre-licensing education. In Minnesota, most potential agents take three, 30 hour courses through Kaplan
- Schedule your exam. Contact the State of Minnesota’s Real Estate Board to schedule time to sit for the real estate exam.
- Complete the licensing application. Once you have passed the state test, you are ready to file an application for licensure. File this document as soon as you receive confirmation that you passed the test to expedite the process.
- Join your local board of REALTORS®. Members belong to one or more of some 1,700 local associations/boards and 54 state and territory associations of REALTORS®. Additionally, they can join one of the many institutes, societies and councils to enhance their expertise and network with other professionals globally. Membership in a local association automatically extends your membership to the state association and national association.
- Find a broker. As a new REALTOR®, it’s often easier to practice under a broker. This will give you the foundation needed to launch your new business. Interview several local brokers and choose the one best suited for you.
Begin your career as a REALTOR® today and experience uncapped earning potential while helping people with important life milestones.
The Minnesota Association of REALTORS® is the largest professional trade association in the state with more than 17,000 members who are active in all aspects of the real estate industry.